segunda-feira, 27 de julho de 2009

At last second flight

At last, at last!! The gods of air, wind and storm, Thor, Fujin, Boreas, Aeolus and the others finally took pity on this ground-stuck mortal and allowed my flight to happen.

So yesterday, July 14th I could attend to my 2nd class. The briefing stated just more getting used to, with all ops performed by the instructor.

It was a wondrous day, with the cooler winter air. Really awesome!! I logged in over at the Secretary and went straight to inspect the plane.

This time engine started promptly. As it would be Guri's 1st flight of the day, we let the engine warm up for a few minutes and proceeded with taxi. The instructor informed me about several communication details, with both tower and ground control. By the way, taxi was infinitely smoother than the previous time... nothing like one hour of practice.

We went to runway 20, in order to take-off due 200, or South (Exact South is 180). Wind was graciously aligned with the runway and the instructor formally announced me that I was going to take-off the plane. The procedure goes like this: You get the plane to the end of the hangar manouvering area, to a spot where the tower can see you. From there you ask instructions for taxi to take-off and inform the kind of flight and how many there are on the plane. Ground control informs weather conditions and assigns the runway. When confirmed, take the plane to the waiting area identified by strips painted on the floor. From thhere you contact the tower that will brief you for the take-off.

I then aligned the plane to the runway. Lowered flaps one notch. Smoothly throttled up the engine to max, noise and trepidation increasing a bit the anxiety and thrill. The little bird quickly reaches 40 knots, when I pulled on the stick a bit (a tiny bit) to aliviate pressure on the front wheel. From there some severe rudder interventions are necessary. Indeed, as airspeed is still too smallyou must really exaggerate the movement otherwise nothing happens. Upon reaching 60 knots I pulled the stick gently, kept the pressure and airborne I was, again feeling that chill inside the belly.

Big surprise. Upon looking all around me and making a general check, I saw something at least inconvenient. The fuel tank cap on the left wing had got loose. I could see the fuel bubbling inside the open tank. All that was left was for some meddlesome vulture to pass smoking by us and drop a cigarette stump on the wing! I told my instructor who advised me to bring the plane left entering landing pattern. Immediately I got into the downwind leg and went to land.Altitude was 1000 feet and I made the turn to the base leg already with throttle on minimum, gliding, losing altitude but keeping speed in 70 knots. Nothing we all don't do in IL-2 all the time! :) Keeping the runway in sight, I checked the windsock, wind still straight from south, enteringe final approach. Here I had to throttle up a tad cause the plane was somewhat low. Eu didn't notice a thing, seemed good, but the instructor probably got the descent ramp forged in his brain. I recovered height then cut the engine to final. This time I did it all by myself. When the runway was getting close I pulled the stick and made the plane glide a few inches from the ground. As it tried to descent I lifted the nose a bit, until touchdown. No exxageration here, but I guess that if there was a glass of water in the plane not a drop would spill. Must have been beginner's luck, or maybe the instructor was sweating by my side correcting everything andd I missed noticing his effort!! :) Letting the plane run, correcting furiously with rudder input, I tested the brakes and already left the runway into the hold area.

Followed then a new taxi permission req to tower and return to hangar. The instructor left the plane, squeezed the ^$%#& cap, tested, it popped out again. Then the fellow played hardball, bending the lock in such a way that it would never budge again. I watched and learned. That cap is going to suffer in my hands next flight!

I should say that all this process was made with absolute calm. Neither the instructor nor myself felt the remotest aprehension, at least apparently. On my part I got alert, but calm. On those needy occasions I usually react with coldness and efficiency, thank God! Anyway it was not really serious. Immediately after adjusting the cap we went taking off again and everything went perfect.

We the did several manouvres towards Recreio dos Bandeirantes, over the sea, and indeed everything seemed easier then first time, despite plenty turbulence. Unfortunately we could not take any airborne pictures or make any films as I would like, but I will make up for that eventually.

On debriefing I was admonished for using scarcely the compensator, something I must get used to. It's just that it seems unnecessary... :)

Upon return there was a slight crosswind. Rudder against wind and small plane roll to compensate... and another land of amazing smoothness. Definiitely like IL-2, except much slower.

An important detail: checked the instruments less often then first time. I guess we quickly adjust to visual horizon references. For medium bank turns I learned. I have to keep the tank cap aligned with the horizon. Those things are not in the manual, I tell you!

Um comentário:

  1. Olá.

    Gostaria de tirar uma duvida.

    A Aeromot ainda está fabricando o Guri e seus outros Moto-planadores?

    Pois não achei nenhuma referência à isto.

    Agradeço retorno.